Sunday, August 23, 2009

Hospital Experience.

I think it's time to document my experience at the hospital. It all started August 13th a Thursday night. I took my blood thinner and bam not 1 minute later I started to get small contractions. It kind of concerned me because it takes 24 hours for the blood thinner to leave your body. So as a couple hours had passed and the contractions started to come on stronger and closer together Jonathan and I thought it would be best to go to the hospital to stop the contractions. Jonathan's mom came to our house and we went. When we got there the Dr. had already left orders for me to get trabutalene and I got my first shot. It started to work but quickly wore off, so I got another shot. It did the same thing and by now my heart was beating out of my chest (that's one of the side effects). So they gave me another shot which made me feel even worse but this time it gave me the major shivers. It didn't work either by the way. So my Dr. called me up and told me that we would need to admit me and give me Magnesium Sulfate which is a very nasty drug and worse than the trabutalene. I was really upset as my Brother in laws wedding was the next morning and I didn't want to miss it. But that is what was going to happen. Then I got settled in a room and started on an IV of this stuff. I didn't think it was that bad. It made my face really hot, I couldn't see to clearly, and since it is a muscle relaxant I was really weak. But the important part is that it stopped the contractions. The plan was to keep me in the Hospital until I was 35 weeks and I was 34 weeks at the time. At 35 weeks they would test the lungs for maturity. But during that week I was there I started to break through the medication and have contractions that would stop on their own. On Tuesday morning I started to have small contractions that throughout the day got worse and worse. I was still on the Magnesium and it wasn't stopping. I was really feeling like I was in labor so I called Jonathan to come to the Hospital to be with me. The nurse checked me and said I was at 2 cm which I was completely closed just a couple of days before so the contractions were doing something. I was also getting this really bad pain at the top of my stomach that came with the contractions. Eventually I was moved to L&D thinking we were going to have the baby that night. I was told that I wouldn't be taken off the Magnesium until I was 3 to 4 cm. Soon after I went to L&D guess what happens my labor starts to slow down. I would think that would happen considering I was still on the Magnesium. My Dr. comes in and thinks I was having a gallbladder attach. It's decided that I got back to the antipartum unit and get a ultrasound in the morning on my gallbladder and if that is alright I get to go home Wednesday night given that I don't contract the next day. Wednesday morning I get the ultrasound and everything checks out just fine. As I waited all day for the Dr. to come in he finally comes in and is stumped as why I was having such a bad pain in my stomach. It could have been the Magnesium that caused it. He tells me that I could go home and that I would have to be seen twice a week for monitoring as I'm off the blood thinner because it is too risky and if there is a problem with the baby it would be gradual and we would spot it before it became a really big problem. So that is where I'm at right now. I'm like a ticking time bomb. Every twinge I feel or look of pain I have on my face Jonathan is ready to go to the Hospital. He's so excited for the baby to come. Personally I'm really leery about when the time comes and I'm having major contractions. I've experienced this and my body loves to start labor and then stop. But with the blood thinners I was more cautious, and didn't want to risk anything. But now that I'm not on them I will really have to be in a lot of pain for me to go in. So that is my Hospital Experience and it was really hard to be away from my kids. But I'm glad that the baby has had more time in me to grow so it was good that I was in there for so long, but not something I ever want to repeat.

1 comment:

Liz said...

what a rollercoaster! good that you are documenting the events so you will be able to remember them later. You never know when you will want to recall them and who you will help in the process. I look forward to hearing news of lil baby!